Thursday 28 June 2012

Three Quilts Finished


Three finishes in a month!! 

I am really pleased with these little or not so little achievements.  Thankfully, so do the children.

First was my mini quilt which I made for Anorina, as part of a Handmade Swap, over at Quilt Club Australia (QCA).  I wanted to play with colour and motion in my piece.  Anorina set some guidelines, for what she might like to receive, and the rest was up to me.


I played for days with the arrangement of the squares and eventually came up with something which felt right.



I then got to quilting.  The center flower petals were marked, but the rest is freehand.  I used a Tangerine, Superior Thread to contrast with the blocks.



The backing is a piece of fabric I have had in my stash for a while now.  I have often got it out to pat it, wondering when I will have a chance to use it.  Now was my chance.  



I am very pleased with this mini, and it was hard to send off in the mail. 


I have already told you about the HST quilt I made for Master 7.



I have now finished Miss 8’s HST quilt too!

From a layer cake of Domestic Bliss, by Liz Scott for Moda it is a bright cheerful grouping of clours and prints.



Backed again in minkee, and straight line quilted each side of the seam, diagonally and horizontally.



 At the store yesterday, the perfect binding was just sitting there on a table of fabric at $7.50/m.  I snapped up enough for this binding and a little extra, as you do!




 As I sewed down the last of the binding, early this morning, Miss 8 got up to use the bathroom.  Seeing the quilt finished, she promptly picked it up and took it with her to bed.  Surely the sign of a quilt-well-done!


I mentioned that my DSLR died.  After many years of faithful service, it decided it needed a permanent break from capturing my memories.  Dad took it, to see if anything could be done to fix it, however sadly this was not the case.  Instead, he returned with a new/old DSLR for me.  What an awesome father?!!  Very pleased to be able to grab the camera any time and shoot some photos.  


Hot Pokers starting to bloom in my garden. 






 You know its winter when these baby's bloom.  


Maybe this is where I got my colour palette for my mini from??





Roxy, 15 this year!  Able to soak you with dribble in a single rub.  


 Thanks so much Dad XX










3 comments:

  1. Hi Caz! I have a few questions about your HST quilts. Can you send me an email? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your layer cake HST! I had the thought to do one like that so I was very happy to find your photo!

    ReplyDelete