Wednesday 2 November 2011

Getting to know Me!



While you can read the little blurb on the side about me, I thought it might be nice to share a little of me, with you!

Born and raised in Melbourne, Australia, I have the privilege of calling this beautiful part of the world my home.  I am a woman of many faces, with mother, fiancée (of 2 years this month!) and midwife being the most obvious.   

I have had my own personal battles over the years and my weight loss journey is the one which has been very successful.

Falling pregnant with my first child, I ballooned to a hefty 96 kg, a gain of approximately 40 kg on my preconception weight.  After birthing my daughter, I lost none of this weight, and consequently became my heaviest when my son was born … a massive 120kg!!!  Breastfeeding helped me lose none of my weight and I again settled around the 96 kg mark.

At this weight I could not run around after my children, found walking very tiring and had absolutely no energy or zest for life.  It was following a dear friends birthday party, where I had to buy size 20 clothes from the store Autograph to attend, that I decided this had to change.  I was mortified when I saw the photo.  Here is that photo!



I resolved that day to do something about my weight.  I made an appointment at my local gym (where I had a membership which I had been paying monthly and not attending) to do a physical assessment.  The outcome was not good.  I was OBESE.  I determined to lose 30kg in the next 10 months, with my first goal being 15 kg lost by my birthday, mid year 2007.  My pessimistic partner told me, “To set a realistic goal” when I informed him of my intentions.  This galvanized me and I am happy to report that with the changes of, more exercise and smaller portion sizes, I met my target 3 months early. 
It was this success which led me to believe that I could return to university and complete a three year undergraduate degree in midwifery.  

I am happy to say, that was 4 years ago and I am nearly back to my pre-pregnancy weight.  I am also currently working in the most wonderful position as a midwife at my local hospital.  Dreams do come true if we work hard at achieving our goals!

Now to master paper piecing!!




4 comments:

  1. Wow Caz that is inspirational, you should be very proud of yourself.
    I have just been doing some paper piecing and it's really easier than you think.
    I joined a yahoo group run by a master of it so if you want the link let me know, have a look at my blog to see what I was doing having only done one block ever before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!! What a sucessful weightloss jpurney! Lovely to find ypur blog and those knitted boobs are beautiful ! Do you sell your quilts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, I just sew for the love and joy of creating things to give to my friends and family. It has certainly given my creative side a wonderful outlet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and that is so very impressive - well done you..

    ReplyDelete